Wednesday 16 February 2011

Is pop music too sexy?

When I was younger I used to love nothing more than singing and dancing around my bedroom to Steps or S Club 7. Nothing excited me more than the step by step dance instructions they sometimes enclosed in their single sleeves. Think 'Tragedy'. My friends and I would dance around perfecting these routines for hours and hours. All fairly innocent play for young girls I’d say.

So what do today’s' pubescent generation dance along to with their friends? 
Certainly not innocent pop music.
Last week I found myself on a train, sat behind three teenage girls. For the duration of my journey I was subjected to a full version of Rihanna's 'rude boy' by the trio. 'Come here rude boy, boy is you big enough', 'Boy can you get it up?’ they sang, and I almost choked on my latte. I estimate the girls were about thirteen. In between, they made sure to adjust their makeup and apply more mascara to their already thickened eye lashes.


On another occasion, I attended a Pussycat Dolls concert and felt like the oldest, most prudish person in the world. At only 21 my friend and I felt like we had crashed an inappropriate kids party. The average age in attendance I would estimate at 14. These young girls were dressed for a night club; skirts, belly tops, heels and excessive make up. Some even branded hoodies asking the question: 'Don't you wish your Girlfriend was a freak like me?'. As the group of girls in front of us danced on their chairs, booty shaking and whining along with the pussycat dolls singing: 'Can you loosen up my buttons babe?'. I found myself blushing and struggling for a place to look that would rescue my eyes from the inappropriateness going on all around me.

Are kids growing up too quickly, and who is to blame? MTV, Youtube, Pussycat Dolls?

The fact is, kids can access scantily clad women bumping and grinding seductively to provocative lyrics at any time of the day. And no one seems to be policing or regulating what these kids have access to on TV, online and radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment